Thursday, November 22, 2007

Much to be Thankful For

Such a cliche, I know, but it's something I've been thinking a lot about lately. This season has been a difficult one with the absence of my mother's beautiful smile at the house. Nonetheless, I'm so incredibly grateful for so many things. I'm so thankful for the last 18 months that she has lived with Gary and me. Since her diagnosis, we've been able to have a lifetime of meaningful conversations. I'm so thankful we didn't put any of those conversations off for a later time. We've been able to relive a lot of great memories too; many I'd forgotten. I'm incredibly thankful for the support I've had not only during my disease and recovery process, but also the whole ordeal with my mother. Both experiences have enabled me to befriend people I would have otherwise never met. In fact, many of them I have YET to meet in person. But they have given me amazing and unending support and advice.

Today I am surrounded by loved ones, both near and far. Sandra and I went to visit Mom today. She is unchanged and didn't rouse while we were there. She is, as far as we can tell, comfortable. It's all I can ask for right now.

As you gather today with your loved ones, think about what to be thankful for. If dinner ends up being late, don't get impatient. Eat some bread and remember fun times. This may become a great memory for the future; the time the turkey didn't get finished until 9pm.

No comments: